Sleep is a normal physiological state, accompanied by depression of consciousness and activity.
The causes of insomnia can be different:
- violation of sleep hygiene,
- taking certain medications or diseases
-switching time zones - the so-called jetlag
I think many have heard that our sleep consists of phases and stages. And so experts divide sleep into two phases:
* NREM sleep, orthodox, or NREM sleep. The name NREM comes from the English Not Rapid Eye Movement and reflects the fact that this phase is not characterized by rapid eye movements.
* REM sleep, paradoxical, or REM sleep (i.e. rapid eye movements are present). The name "paradoxical" is due to the fact that during this phase of sleep, complete muscle relaxation and high brain activity are combined. Thus, during this period, the brain works in much the same way as during wakefulness.
The "slow + REM sleep" cycle lasts approximately 1.5-2 hours, these phases successively replace each other.
How can a neurologist help?
First, the neurologist will make a thorough collection of complaints, anamnesis and examination of the patient. This will help to suspect the causes of sleep.
Secondly, only a doctor can correctly prescribe instrumental or laboratory examinations.
To eliminate insomnia, you need to purposefully act on its causes and mechanism of occurrence. Polysomnography is the gold standard for diagnosing insomnia.
Why is insomnia dangerous if it is not treated?
-increased risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. For example, myocardial infarction or stroke
-deterioration of metabolism, leading to excess weight, increased risk of neurodegenerative diseases (for example, Alzhezmer's disease)
What tips can you give to prevent insomnia?
Sleep hygiene is important in preventing and sometimes treating sleep disorders, regardless of the cause.
- go to bed and get up in the morning at the same time;
- lead an active lifestyle and avoid daytime sleep, even a short one;
-Do not take psychoactive substances (alcohol, nicotine, stimulants) should be avoided in the last hours before bedtime and drinks such as tea, cocoa, cola should be avoided, especially dark chocolate;
-Avoid overeating at night or vice versa hunger strikes;
- avoid excessive impressions in the evening;
- before going to bed, do not engage in active mental activity that requires extreme concentration of attention, avoid quarrels and conflict situations, you should engage in some calming activity - for example, reading, you can do meditation;
- go to bed only when drowsiness is really present, and not to relieve feelings of tiredness and fatigue.
You can safely start treatment, which we carry out as quickly and efficiently as possible in Tashkent. The Gatling Med clinic will make you feel confident in yourself and your health.