A nasal boil is a purulent-necrotic inflammation of the hair follicle or sebaceous gland and adjacent tissues of the nasal cavity. The leading symptoms are the gradual formation of a pustule with purulent-necrotic contents, which opens after 3-5 days, regional pain, swelling, hyperemia, intoxication syndrome. Diagnosis consists in collecting the patient’s medical history and complaints, physical examination, anterior rhinoscopy, laboratory tests, and rarely radiation methods. Treatment involves the use of antibacterial and symptomatic agents, if necessary, surgical intervention.
Causes of a boil of the nose
• Traumatic injuries. Abrasions, cuts, scratches and other violations of the integrity of the tissues create an entrance gate for infection. This also includes transferred surgical interventions - rhinoplasty, the installation of various implants.
• Concomitant purulent pathologies. The presence of pustular diseases of the skin (pyoderma) or the vestibular part of the nasal cavity (folliculitis, sycosis). The spread of infection can also occur from other chronic foci - carious teeth, inflamed palatine tonsils and paranasal sinuses.
• Decreased immunity. General hypothermia, chronic overfatigue, vitamin deficiency, the presence of diabetes mellitus, HIV infection and cancer, recent chemotherapy courses, and prolonged use of systemic corticosteroids can contribute to the occurrence of a nasal boil.
Violation of sanitary standards. Includes too rare hygiene procedures in everyday life, leading to greasy skin and persistence of pathogenic microorganisms. In production conditions, the development of pathology is facilitated by the inhalation of dusty air, constant contact with fuels and lubricants.
Diagnosis of the disease is not difficult. To make a diagnosis, an otolaryngologist is often enough to examine the lesion site and anamnestic information. The full scheme of the patient examination includes the following methods:
• Poll. When collecting a medical history, the doctor establishes the possible causes of the disease, the presence of concomitant pathologies, factors that violate local and general immune defense mechanisms of the body. Particular attention is given to the sequence of symptoms.
• Physical examination. Depending on the location of the boil, an external nose or anterior rhinoscopy is performed. When using these techniques, edematous-infiltrative changes characteristic of a certain stage are visually noted. With palpation and tension of the facial muscles, an increase in pain is observed.
• Laboratory tests. A general blood test displays the presence of an inflammatory process in the body - an increase in the level of neutrophilic leukocytes, an increase in ESR. A smear is also taken from the top of the pustule with the subsequent determination of pathogenic microflora and its sensitivity to antibacterial drugs.
You can safely begin the treatment that we carry out as quickly and effectively as possible in Tashkent.
Gatling Med Clinic will make you be confident in yourself and in your health!