ACUTE RHEUMATIC FEVER.
Acute rheumatic fever (ARF) is a non-suppurative complication that occurs 2-4 weeks after suffering streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis.
Streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis (hereinafter referred to as GABHS-pharyngitis) is an acute infectious disease with damage to the lymphoid apparatus and mucous membrane of the pharynx.
Complications of GABHS-pharyngitis, which are divided into:
- early (purulent), developing on the 4-6th day from the onset of the disease - otitis media, sinusitis, paratonsillar abscess, cervical lymphadenitis, pneumonia, etc.;
- late (non-purulent) - acute rheumatic fever, post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, toxic shock.
Acute rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease are called diseases of poverty and economic distress. Complications caused by GABHS are the leading cause of death from cardiovascular diseases in people under the age of 50 living in developing countries. ARF can occur at any age.
Worldwide, there are approximately 470,000 new ARF cases and 275,000 deaths associated with rheumatic heart disease each year.
Most often ARF occurs in children aged 5 to 15 years. ARF develops in 0.5-3% of cases if GABHS pharyngitis has not been treated.
The reasons for the development of ARF are not fully determined, but the role of GABHS in this process is obvious: ARF occurs only after GABHS pharyngitis or scarlet fever with concomitant pharyngitis and does not occur after infections of the skin and soft tissues. This is thought to be due to the different immune responses to skin and pharyngeal infections, as well as the lack of rheumatogenic potential in strains causing skin infections.
Eradication of GABHS infection is necessary regardless of whether there are signs of pharyngitis. Antibiotic therapy is carried out similarly to therapy for acute tonsillopharyngitis.
- arthritis - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain and prevent the involvement of new joints in the process;
- carditis - treatment is carried out only with the development of heart failure;
- chorea - usually does not require treatment, but sometimes it may be necessary to prescribe antipsychotics, anticonvulsants;
- erythema and subcutaneous nodules - no treatment.
You can safely begin treatment, which we carry out as quickly and efficiently as possible in Tashkent. The Gatling Med clinic will make you feel confident in yourself and your health!