Proctitis is a lesion of the rectal mucosa caused by an inflammatory process. It is acute and chronic.
Pathology is formed by the following features:
There are 7 different forms of acute proctitis:
1. Stagnant. Occurs in the presence of regular constipation and stagnation of blood in the stool.
2. Infectious. It is formed from bacteria that enter the body. Quite a serious proctitis form since the presence of viruses indicates the development of pus. And later a purulent proctitis is diagnosed, which settles on the walls of the rectum.
3. Alimentary proctitis. The formation of this proctitis is facilitated by the abuse of spirits and improper eating.
4. Catarrhal. There are hemorrhages.
5. Radiation. The consequence of radiation treatment, which is usually used to remove neoplasms in the pelvic area.
6. Superficial proctitis. Only the superficial layers of the mucosa are damaged.
7. Erosive proctitis. Affected intestinal wall with the formation of erosion. Also hemorrhagic accompanied with the development of hemorrhoids.
To the chronic proctitis the following forms can be attributed:
1. Hypertrophic. That is, the looseness of the intestinal wall as a consequence of its thickening.
2. Post-proctitis proctitis. It is a radial type passing through in a chronic form.
3. Atrophic. The mucous membrane of the rectum is exhausted.
Symptoms of acute proctitis include:
- Severe pain when you visit the toilet
- Pain in the rectum. Accompanying bloody or purulent discharge from the anus
- Painful sensations in the abdomen, lower back and in the genitals
Chronic proctitis develops over time with remissions and exacerbations.
Acute proctitis is treated with candles and medications, microblogging from collargol or chamomile (when the patient has acute inflammation), after elimination of inflammations, oily enemas are prescribed. It is recommended to adhere to bed rest and refuse from spicy food and strong drinks.
In the treatment of chronic proctitis, candles, preparations, and microclysters are also actively used. The main goal of treatment is to eliminate constipation. Visits of the masseur and physical exercises (gymnastics) are appointed. In case of complications, surgical intervention is performed.