A furuncle of the nose is a purulent-necrotic inflammation of the hair follicle or sebaceous gland and adjacent tissues of the nasal cavity. The leading symptoms are the gradual formation of a pustule with purulent-necrotic content, which opens after 3-5 days, regional pain, edema, hyperemia, and intoxication syndrome. Diagnostics consists in collecting anamnesis and patient complaints, physical examination, anterior rhinoscopy, laboratory tests, rarely - radiation research methods. Treatment involves the use of antibacterial and symptomatic agents, if necessary, surgery.
Causes of the boil of the nose
• Traumatic injury. Abrasions, cuts, scrapes, and other tissue disruptions create an entryway for infection. This also includes the transferred surgical interventions - rhinoplasty, the installation of various implants.
• Concomitant purulent pathologies. The presence of pustular diseases of the skin (pyoderma) or the vestibular part of the nasal cavity (foliculitis, sycosis). The spread of infection can also occur from other chronic foci - carious teeth, inflamed tonsils and paranasal sinuses.
• Decreased immunity. General hypothermia, chronic fatigue, vitamin deficiency, the presence of diabetes mellitus and oncological diseases, recent courses of chemotherapy, and prolonged use of systemic corticosteroids can contribute to the emergence of a nasal furuncle.
Violation of sanitary and hygienic standards. Includes too rare hygiene procedures in everyday life, leading to greasy skin and persistence of pathogenic microorganisms. In production conditions, the development of pathology is facilitated by inhalation of dusty air, constant contact with fuels and lubricants.
Diagnosis of the disease is not difficult. To make a diagnosis, an otolaryngologist is often sufficient to examine the affected area and anamnestic information. The complete patient examination scheme includes the following techniques:
• Survey. When collecting anamnesis, the doctor determines the possible causes of the disease, the presence of concomitant pathologies, factors that violate the local and general immune mechanisms of the body's defense. Special attention is paid to the sequence of development of symptoms.
• Physical examination. Depending on the location of the boil, an external nose examination or anterior rhinoscopy is performed. When using these techniques, edematous-infiltrative changes characteristic of a certain stage are visually noted. With palpation and tension of the mimic muscles, an increase in pain is observed.
• Laboratory tests. A general blood test reflects the presence of an inflammatory process in the body - an increase in the level of neutrophilic leukocytes, an increase in ESR. A smear is also taken from the top of the pustule, followed by the determination of pathogenic microflora and its sensitivity to antibacterial drugs.
You can safely start treatment, which we carry out as quickly and efficiently as possible in Tashkent. The Gatling Med clinic will make you feel confident in yourself and your health!